When we think about the future we often focus on securing our lives financially. But there is one aspect we often overlook: eye health. Even though we enjoy clear vision, caring for our eyes doesn’t end at achieving 20/20 vision.
1. Follow the 20-20-20 rule. We spend most of our lives facing digital screens so it’s easy to suffer from eye strain without meaning to. In order to avoid this, we must make it a habit to follow the 20-20-20 rule: throughout the day, we must take 20 seconds every 20 minutes to look away from our computers at an object 20 feet away.
2. Stick to a Balanced Diet. Watching what you eat not only helps you slim down and protect you from diseases, it can also help reduce the risk of eye disease such as cataracts. Foods rich in Vitamins in antioxidants also maintain clear vision.
3. Move. Exercising regularly can do wonders to your overall health and this includes our eyesight. Regular walking, for instance, not only improves circulation but reduces the risk of future visual deterioration.
4. Just Say No. Cigarette smoking can cause lead to poor eye health and conditions such as cataracts, macular degeneration, diabetic retinopathy, dry eyes and even, infant eye disease.
5. Know Yourself. More than eye exams, you should also make sure to get tested for Hypertension or Diabetes. These conditions, when not addressed early on, can lead to ocular hypertension, diabetic retinopathy and glaucoma.
6. Shield Yourself. Dry air and prolonged exposure to the sun’s UV rays can cause potential damage to your eyes. So admire the beauty of nature without putting your health in jeaopardy.
7. Learn from the Past. To look forward to your future, you should be able to look back and learn from the past. By having a thorough knowledge of your family’s health history can help you take early action to avoid possible health risks in the future.
The Department of Health proclaimed August “Sight Saving Month” as a response to the worldwide health issues of Avoidable Blindness and Visual Impairment.
Caring for our eyes means caring for our whole bodies as well. So, as this month draws to a close, let’s not forget to keep all these tips in mind all year round, ensuring overall health for a better tomorrow.