There are tons of reasons why LASIK is the most popular and effective refractive surgery for people who are itching to have a perfect vision in exchange for their eyeglasses and contact lenses.
According to studies, around a million people have LASIK surgery every year to enhance their sight and attain a 20/20 or even better vision. That’s the reason why more people would want to follow that same path.
Imagine, in less than 10 minutes, you can have a brand new perfect eyesight in a snap. No wonder more people would want to know if they are eligible for LASIK. Who exactly are the best candidates for LASIK?
Here are several key factors that decide whether one can undergo LASIK or not:
1. Age – This is one of the most important determining factors in terms of knowing if one can be a LASIK candidate or not. People under 18 are not advised to have LASIK as per ophthalmologists as their eyes are yet to be fully developed.
The common advisable age/s to have LASIK is when one reached early 20’s and older. However, an 18-year old can also be eligible if screening shows that he already has a stabilized vision.
2. Eye Health – This is another significant consideration before one can be eligible for LASIK. That’s why thorough and precise examinations are first needed to see if a person can push through with the surgery and if the eyes’ health can take LASIK.
People who have severe eye conditions are most likely deemed as ineligible for LASIK. The requisite LASIK consultation assures if one is eligible for the procedure or not.
3. Pregnancy – Though just temporarily, pregnant women are not advised to have LASIK while they are still in a carriage. The hormones they have during pregnancy causes unstable vision. Once fully recovered upon post-pregnancy, that’s the time that they can seek a consultation for LASIK.
4. Prolonged Usage of Contacts – If you happen to be using contact lenses constantly for years, that might, unfortunately, affect your chances of being eligible for LASIK. Contact lens users are required to discontinue use for a significant period of time before they can be considered for LASIK.
Once there’s corneal stability, a more precise prescription assessment will then be conducted to see if you are good or not for LASIK.
5. Unstable Vision – Having a stable vision is a requisite to pass the LASIK screening. In fact, it is one of the key components in screenings and examinations. One must have a stable vision upon thorough examination to accurately get the necessary results and see if it is eligible or not.
6. Overall Health – Aside from eye health, a person’s overall health is just as important of a factor in determining his LASIK eligibility. Some serious health conditions, such as diabetes and disorders, might significantly affect one’s LASIK eligibility.
Those significant factors are key to determine if you can be a good candidate for LASIK. As much as most people would want to have LASIK, it is important to first determine if it is safe and fit enough for a certain person.
Not sure if you can be a candidate for LASIK but would love to have the procedure for your own good? The best way to know is to consult our experienced and trusted eye doctors and have the necessary examinations to see what’s best for you.
At Shinagawa, we ensure what’s best for our patients as our advanced machines smoothen eye examinations and give the most accurate results.
For more information on how you can seek help for your eyes, contact our Patient Care Lines: (+632) 368 5238 l (+63) 917 862 7454 l (+63) 921 217 0517