National Healthy Skin Month is a time to raise awareness about the importance of taking care of our skin. This article will explore tips and tricks to help you maintain healthy skin, including skincare routines, diet, and lifestyle changes.
Let’s celebrate National Healthy Skin Month by giving our skin the care it deserves!
How can you tell if your skin is or is not healthy?
The condition of your skin can provide valuable insight into your overall health.
Here are some factors that can impact the health of your skin:
- Genetics: Your skin type and the conditions you’re prone to can be determined by genetics. For example, some people may be more prone to dry skin or acne due to their genetic makeup.
- Lifestyle: Your lifestyle can have a significant impact on the health of your skin. Factors such as diet, exercise, smoking, and alcohol consumption can affect the appearance and texture of your skin.
- Environmental factors: Your skin is constantly exposed to environmental factors such as pollution, UV radiation, and temperature changes. These factors can cause damage to your skin and lead to premature aging or other skin problems.
To determine if your skin is healthy, look out for the following signs:
- Even complexion: Healthy skin should have an even tone and texture. If you notice patches of discoloration or rough, uneven texture, this may indicate that your skin is not as healthy as it could be.
- Good elasticity: Skin that bounces back when pinched is a sign of good elasticity. Loss of elasticity is a natural part of aging but can also be caused by other factors such as sun damage or smoking.
- Hydration: Dry, flaky skin can be a sign of dehydration or lack of moisture. Healthy skin should feel soft and supple to the touch.
In contrast, unhealthy skin may display the following warning signs:
- Dryness: Skin that is dry and flaky may be a sign that it’s not getting the moisture it needs to stay healthy.
- Redness: Redness or inflammation can indicate an underlying skin condition or irritation.
- Acne: Acne is a common skin problem that can be caused by a variety of factors, including hormonal imbalances, genetics, and lifestyle factors.
By paying attention to these signs, you can determine if your skin is healthy or not. If you notice any issues, don’t hesitate to seek advice from a dermatologist or skincare professional. With proper care and attention, you can keep your skin healthy and glowing.
What are the go-to, tried, and proper treatments for healthy skin?
A mild moisturizer with sunscreen, face wash, and a prescription retinoid.
What are the steps to a healthy skincare routine?
Maintaining a healthy skincare routine is essential for achieving and maintaining healthy skin. Here are the steps you can take to build a healthy skincare routine:
- Cleansing: The first step in any skincare routine is to cleanse your skin to remove dirt, oil, and makeup. Use a gentle, non-comedogenic cleanser to avoid irritating your skin.
- Toning: Toning helps to restore your skin’s pH balance and remove any remaining dirt or impurities. Look for a toner that’s free from alcohol and fragrances to avoid drying out your skin.
- Treatment: If you have any specific skin concerns, such as acne or hyperpigmentation, consider using a targeted treatment to address these issues. Use treatments as directed to avoid overdoing it and potentially irritating your skin.
- Moisturizing: Moisturizing helps to keep your skin hydrated and healthy. Choose a moisturizer that’s appropriate for your skin type and contains ingredients like hyaluronic acid or glycerin to help lock in moisture.
- Sun protection: Sunscreen is a crucial step in any healthy skincare routine. Choose a broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher and reapply every two hours if you’re spending time outdoors.
By following these steps, you can establish a healthy skincare routine that will help you maintain healthy skin. Keep in mind that everyone’s skin is unique, so it may take some trial and error to find the right products and routine for you. If you have any questions or concerns, don’t hesitate to consult with a skincare professional or dermatologist.
What should people consider before trying a new skincare treatment?
There are a lot of over-the-counter products out there. Some are great, but others can be potentially harmful. I usually recommend that patients try a “test spot” before applying the product to a larger surface area.
The other option would be to bring your products to your dermatologist appointment and review them together.
What are some healthy at-home face treatments to try now?
Moisturizing products are recommended as they are generally very mild and also have ceramides which are a component of a healthy skin barrier.
If you have any issues with your skin health, questions about skin irritation, or want to schedule an appointment, please reach us so we can help!
Call our Patient Care Lines: (+632) 7-368 5238 l (+63) 917 862 7454 l (+63) 921 217 0517 for inquiries, questions, and appointments or talk to our consultants via LiveChat at https://shinagawa.ph so we can address and answer them for you.