Aside from foods that are high in sugar, but there are also other foods that can do harm to your teeth that you might not have thought about.
You should be in the know to avoid any damage that your teeth can endure from unfriendly foods.
Here are 9 unhealthy foods for the teeth that you should avoid to keep your smile as healthy as can be:
- Ice – You may have the tendency to comp on ice after finishing a drink. That’s a big no-no. Since ice is hard, your teeth can start cracking without you even realizing it. Put away the ice.
- Bread – Yes, while it may be good solid food for most, it can do some harm to your teeth. Its processed carbs are hidden sugars that could impact your health and teeth negatively. Saliva in the mouth breaks down the carbs that convert it to sugar at a rapid pace. Bacteria in the mouth then proceeds to multiply, releasing an acid that damages your enamel.
- Vinegar – While it is a good dip for some foods, vinegar is highly acidic and can lead to tooth erosion and decay.
- Curry – If you want some spice, there’s a good chance you love curry. However, it is a certainty that your teeth don’t. Since curry powder has such a deep pigment, you can stain your teeth over time by eating it often. Always try to drink water after eating curry to try to help wash away the pigment before it sets to your teeth.
- Dried Fruits – Dried fruits, especially dried mangoes, might sound healthy but in reality, they contain a significant amount of added sugar to enhance the flavor. Adding the stickiness they present, your teeth might have a problem. Instead, go for Fresh Fruits or if you really want dried fruits, make sure they don’t contain added sugar.
- Corn On The Cob – If you have braces, dental fillings or dentures, better avoid eating corn on the cob as that can loosen your dental work. Instead, just scrape the corn off and use spoon.
- Salad Dressings – Since salad dressings are usually packed full of vinegar to enhance the flavor of salads, they also have the same negative impact as vinegar. Some salad dressings also have added sugar for a sweeter taste that could spell out a recipe for disaster. Stick to only the salad or opt for less dressing to minimize the effects.
- Vegetable Juice – Since vegetable juice contains a low PH point, which causes some damage, it can soften your enamel. The surface is then demineralized and is prone to cavities. Tomato juice is a standout in this category due to the acidity of the tomato. Other fruit juices such as orange juice and lemon juice also have a low PH and promote the same harmful consequences.
Well, this list might be scary, provided that you are most likely used to consuming some or most of that food. However, there are other substitutes as well.
Also remember, water is king and it offers a healthy boost of hydration and a lot of health benefits without having to cause any damage.
Protect your teeth the best way possible. Shinagawa Orthodontics can be your right partner for that. Call our Patient Care Lines to book a FREE dental appointment.